Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

There has to be something you're thankful for...

So here we are on the most misunderstood holiday of the year. I may be wrong about that last statement. I'm sure if you talked to St. Patrick or the men that signed the Declaration of Independence, there may be some debate about that title.  Let me try again.

So here we are on the holiday that really doesn't work as advertised. Thanksgiving has been around since the first winter after the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock, but it wasn't until Abraham Lincoln that the holiday was made an official part of the American calendar. Now Lincoln's approach to the holiday was that is should be a day to thank God for all that had been provided, and that's all good and fine, but that's not what I want to talk about today. What I want to know is, where are all the thankful people?

Thanksgiving has turned into a giant food fest with football and sleep thrown in. Where is there any time devoted to expressing thanks for anything that we have? I remember when I was growing up that my Mom made each of us share something we were thankful from over the past year. It wasn't much, but it was something. Now we don't even do that.

So this Thanksgiving, take a moment or two to be thankful. It may not seem like there's much to be thankful for, but there has to be something positive going on in your life. I may be semi-employed as a substitute teacher with $50,000 of debt waiting at the door, and no real prospects at the moment, but I can be thankful. So what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment