Search This Blog

Monday, December 24, 2012

Top 12 Christmas hymns

It's the holidays, so it must be time for a holiday-themed list, right? Well this year, I'm I thought I would list my Top 12 Christmas hymns. Most of them will be familiar, but I expect there might be one or two most of you won't recognize.

These are the songs I associate most with Christmas. Sure you have to have the Chipmunks singing about Christmas time, and it really isn't Christmas for me until I hear Snoopy facing off against the Red Baron on the radio, but these are the songs that really put me in the mood.

I'd totally forgotten one of our traditions growing up was to call my grandma on my Mom's side and sing Silent Night to her on Christmas Eve, and then we got to open one present.

Another important part of this music is singing it with a group of people. The church I grew up in was a singing church. We had a strong history and present of singing accapella, and that really made these songs special. I was going to write about each song, but that was when I was going to do a set of posts. For this, you just get the video and no explanation. I will mention that I really love songs that have a lot going on, especially in a minor key, hence the top pick. But enough of all the background, let's get to the list.

Number 12-Hark the Herald Angels Sing




Number 11-O Come all Ye Faithful



Number 10-Joy to the World



Number 9- To Us a Child



Number 8-The First Noel



Number 7-It Came Upon a Midnight Clear



Number 6-Silent Night



Number 5-Oh Holy Night



Number 4-What Child is This?



Number 3- We Three Kings


Number 2-Angels We have Heard on High



Number 1-Oh Come Oh Come Emmanuel


No comments:

Post a Comment