Search This Blog

Saturday, February 9, 2013

How amazing is The Amazing Spider-Man?

The difficult thing about comic book movies is that there is always a push for a new movie to be released. This means that there is going to be times when an actor gets too old for a particular role, and if you want a new movie, you are going to have to relaunch the series. This was the case recently with Spider-Man.

This has happened for good or for bad with a variety of franchises. Replacing Batman, has had it's ups and downs, and the new Superman didn't go very well. Marvel hasn't had many titles that have reached that point yet, so they are still looking to see what will happen as they have to relaunch to maintain popularity. (Let's just ignore the failed movie attempts from the 80's.)

So what do I think of the newest Spider-Man movie?

I think this is the best Spider-man movie that has been made to date. Tobey Maguire does a good job of being the web-slinger, but there is something wrong with the tone of those movies. They don't seem to take themselves seriously. (I know, how serious can you be about a story involving a man with spider powers? It's a delicate balancing act.)

I think the casting is as close to perfect as you can get. Martin Sheen and Sally Field as Uncle Ben and Aunt May are inspired. (When I first saw Sally in the kitchen, I started to have a moment where I though, "But Aunt May has..." and then I stopped that thought.) Emma Stone was a great choice for Gwen Stacy. I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw Denis Leary as Captain Stacy, but I was happily surprised about that casting choice. Oh, and Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man was a great choice.

Do you know what else makes this the best of the Spider-Man movies? The humor. When I saw the trailer, I knew that Garfield was going to be able to make me remember why I fell in love with Spider-Man. When I was young, I decided to be like Spider-Man, to be funny and sarcastic. I wanted to have a quip whenever I needed it. I didn't see that Spider-Man from Maguire.

There were a few small issues, but over all, I loved this movie. If you haven't seen this movie, you need to fix that. Go see the Amazing Spider-Man today.

No comments:

Post a Comment