Search This Blog

Saturday, June 8, 2013

They Might Be Giants put on a great live show.

I've written on this blog about my love for the band know as TMBG (They Might Be Giants), and I've wanted to see them live in concert for many years, and last night I finally got the chance to make that dream come true. It was everything I was hoping for even though I didn't know I was hoping for most of what I got.

The Ogden Theater was a great venue for the show and there wasn't a bad seat in the house. A trio called Vandaveer opened the show with an acoustic guitar and a Dobro with a woman signing harmonies and back up. They had a nice folk sound, and I was impressed with the music, and I'll probably pick up their new album which is a collection of murder ballads.

After a change in set up, the band came to the stage. The crowd went crazy as the music started.
There was only one song I was hoping to hear, and that was Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and I know that concerts are often used to plug a new album rather than pander to people that love the older music, but that was not the case with this show, the majority of the show was familiar music that gave the show (and the crowd) massive amounts of energy.)


TMBG recently released their 16th album Nanobots and they did a few songs from it, and I'm planning to buy it, but for me the older songs made the show since I was able to sing along.

I mentioned that I was hoping for Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and I got that song, but there were plenty of songs I wasn't expecting, but loved hearing. One of those songs was New York City.  The best part of that song being in the show was that I actually talked to someone in the crowd about how great it would be to hear TMBG playing that song in NY, and how they probably wouldn't do it in Denver, but they certainly did.

So here is a list of songs that I wasn't expecting to hear, but I loved anyway
  • James K. Polk
  • The Guitar
  • S-E-X-X-Y
  • Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head
  • Fingertips
  • Doctor Worm
  • How Can I Sing Like a Girl

One of the things I love about TMBG's music is the use of unexpected instruments. I wasn't caught off guard by the accordion, but I was not expecting a Bass Clarinet.
The perfect ending to an amazing concert was the song The End of the Tour which catches the feeling of a concert coming to an end.

If you haven't seen They Might Be Giants in concert, it is worth your time to get to a show.

So here's a hard question for you, which of the hundreds of songs TMBG have released is your favorite? Answer below.

No comments:

Post a Comment