Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

How to make a Top 5 list (or whatever size list you want)

Well, I've certainly done a lot of lists since I started this blog, and I'm sure to do many more in the future. I thought some of you out there might be interested in how it's done. (Also, I'm applying for eHow and thought this would be a good topic to share with them.) So here are some basic steps to help you make your own listing of your favorite things.

  1. Pick a topic. You should start with something you know pretty well. Don't bother with lists about the top ten weird atomic particles unless you actually know anything about atomic particles. Also work with something that speaks to the audience you are trying to reach. Here are a few examples of topics I've used: Doctor Who, MASH, and Weird Al. (Links included so you can check them out.)
  2. Decide how big your list is going to be. There's no law that says it has to be top 10 just because that's how David Letterman does it. I got into the habit of doing twelve when I did my Doctor Who list. This allowed me to talk about all the actors in the role. However, when I started a list for the best X-men characters, I stayed with twelve instead of jumping to 50. Regardless, pick a number you can work with without being overwhelmed, but that you think is fair to your topic.
  3. Decide how many parts you want to make your list. You may want to drop them all in one list or you may want to dedicate a post to each number. It's really up to you. I try to keep each post from being too long or too short. That's part of why I like to work with a top twelve list. Twelve can be done all at once or broken down into 6s, 4s, 3s, 2s, or single posts. There's lots of options.
  4. Do some research. Even if you know your topic you should still find out what you don't know. There is something interesting about your list that your readers will love to know, you just have to find it. 
  5. Put your list in order.  I always find this to be the hardest part. You have to decide the criteria and justifications for your ranking. You'll still get some arguments about placing Superman above Batman, but at least you can explain why you did it.
  6. Start writing. Sorry, but you can't avoid this part of the process. It won't magically happen on its own. Be sure to check your spelling and grammar. If you don't, you will get lots of messages complaining about it. 
  7. Publish it. What's the point of making a list of your top 5 favorite put down lines from NCIS if you don't share it? Put it on a blog or on your Facebook. Just put it out there for people to enjoy even if it's just a poster you hang up somewhere. 
There you go, you've written a top 5 list and you're ready to do some more. Have fun with it and keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment