Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Royal wedding or royal pain?

This is a tricky post for me. I'm not a huge fan of the royal family. I'm not against England's royalty. I think that Queen Elizabeth is a wonderful person, at least from the little that I know. I really don't care for Prince Charles and I not-so-secretly hope he gets passed over for the throne in favor of his son William. Also, Princess Diana was a wonderful woman, but I'm hoping this marriage of William and Kate will take some of the attention off of William's mother.

Side note to talk about why I'm rooting for William over Charles: There are several reasons why I'm hoping that Elizabeth chooses her grandson over her son when the matter of succession comes up. First, I'm a William, and I think it's been way too long since there was a William on the throne. Next off, I may a bit of an elitist and a snob, but I think England would benefit from a younger king who is better connected to his people. Also, Kate will be a more attractive and accessible queen. OK, enough of the side track.

The real reason I'm writing this post is to say that I'm already sick of hearing about all the details of the wedding. I don't think I'd care anyway, but does there really need to be a news story every day about all the small and insignificant details of the wedding? I don't care if President and Mrs. Obama were on the guest list. Actually, I would have  thought less of the royal couple if they had invited the President and First Lady. I expect that the list is filled with people I don't know and many that I've never heard of as well.

I'm not saying that I have no interest in the wedding, but I don't need all the details ahead of time. I like a little suspense and surprise in my life and right now no one is getting that.

No comments:

Post a Comment