Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Elton John may not be making the best choice here...

I don't usually follow much when it comes to celebrity gossip, and I'm not terribly worried about what is going on in the life of Elton John. (Unless he decides to unretire 'Candle in the Wind' and then I'm going to complain a lot.) However, I was a little curious about the reason that Elton John would be at the top of Yahoo's trending list. I was surprised enough with what I saw to convince me to put my lists on hold for a day so I could rant for a while about this topic.

So what is Sir Elton John up to in the news today? Well, I'm sure that you've heard that John is raising a child with his partner David Furnish via a surrogate mother. (I'm too lazy to find out who the Dad is, but you can comment below if you know the answer.) Anyway, the big story right now is that the couple plans on naming Lady Gaga as the baby's godmother. Let me repeat that for you, Lady Gaga is going to be some kid's godmother.

Let me step back a little bit and explain what I'm concerned about with this. These days, being a godparent isn't really that big of a deal. We don't treat it as anything whereas it used to be pretty significant. I'm sure Gaga won't be expected to do anything with the John/Furnish baby, but it still goes against the idea of godparents. Godparents are supposed to be connected to the family and someone that is significant in the lives of the parents. Is there really any kind of friendship between Elton John and Lady Gaga? Have they ever even met?

John states that the couple selected Lady Gaga because of her inclusiveness and tolerance. That's fine, I have no problem with that idea. Lady Gaga certainly reaches out to everyone to some extent, but is she really the best role model for being yourself? I didn't see her eggmobile, but it seems like she's always redefining herself which makes me wonder if she knows herself at all.

Well, that's my rant for now. More work on the top 12 lists coming up. Leave any comments or questions below.

No comments:

Post a Comment