Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

Top Twelve Weird Al Parodies-Number 5

The Original-Pretty Fly for a White Guy-by The Offspring.
This is the anthem for wannabes. The subject of the song is trying so hard to be cool that he's obviously spotted as a faker by everyone around him. Everything this wannabe tries goes wrong. He gets the wrong number cut into his hair, and the store was out of Ice Cube so he has to settle for Vanilla Ice. The wannabe is obvious and he isn't fooling anybody.

I really enjoy the music of this song too. Even if I'm not following the lyrics, I'm enjoying the song. One of my favorite parts is count down to start the song. It's something different that I always have to think about when the song starts. "Uno, dos, tres, quatro, cinco, cinco, seis." How does it work in comparison to the "One, two, three, four" that is used traditionally? I'm still not sure, but I love to hear it. I also love this song because it reminds me of one of my best friends. It's like his own personal theme song.

The Parody-Pretty Fly for a Rabbi
I can't really decide which of the two versions of this song is better. I love the parody because it matches so well with the original. This song focuses more on the the life of a rabbi, but it's still focused on just how cool the subject can be given who he is. How cool can a rabbi be? I'm not really sure, but this song makes it sound pretty good.

In this case, I think that I just love the idea of a rabbi trying to be fly. I stumbled across this song and didn't realize what was going on with it the first time I heard it. That probably adds to the connection I have with it. I like both of them no matter the time or the setting. Go check them out back to back and see what you think about them.

That's all for now, feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment