Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Oh haiku

So, I have spread myself out quite a bit when it comes to blogging and writing. It all started when I was realizing I wasn't going to have a job in the fall after all my time at college and saw an article about a girl who took an ugly dress every day for a year and turn it into something she would wear. I'd also seen lots of other blogs like that and thought it would be fun to give something like that a try. I picked writing. I knew I couldn't turn out something worth reading every day, but opted for a short story, poem or play each week. I've had some success with it, but that was before I started this opinion blog which takes up some of my time too.

(This is a quick interruption for a shameless plug: http://storypoemplay-a-week.tumblr.com/ Here you will find lots of fun stuff including my series of poems based on Doctor Who, one for each Doctor. I'm currently working on #4)

Well today I had the brilliant idea to try out some Doctor Who haiku. What's a haiku you ask? Well, it's a traditional Japanese form of poetry that is very simple to understand, but hard to master. A haiku only has 3 line and just 17 syllables. The first line gets 5, the second 7 and the last 5. It can be very tricky to make a haiku work. More importantly, it is hard to produce a haiku that says something worth the effort.

Several years ago, I started a project to make a haiku every day for a year. By the time I got to the middle of February, I was out of ideas, and my haiku weren't worth anything. Then I looked back at the other haiku I'd written, and realized it was time to give up on that project. My first Doctor Who haiku is just a way to get started. Hopefully I will be able to develop some better ones as I go. It is a form I really enjoy, but I still need some work to get better at them.

And what about you?
Is there a haiku within
your soul looking out?

No comments:

Post a Comment