Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Top Twelve X-men (Part I)

So as I was getting ready to write this series of blogs, I realized why the connection between two things that I dearly love, the X-men and Doctor Who. Both ideas were first presented to the world in 1963. I certainly wasn't alive at the time that it all started, but I have been a fan of both the X-men and Doctor Who from the first time I encountered them. Both concepts take you into a world of pseudo science and give you plenty of opportunities to explore the what ifs of the world.

I have really enjoyed working on top twelve lists and I don't see any reason not to continue the trend with another universe that I have long enjoyed. I'm not as big a fan of the X-men as I was in the past. Every time I pick up a comic I find myself getting frustrated with the direction the book has taken so I usually put it back down. There are some newer characters that I really enjoy, but not enough to get me past the X-men moving to San Fransisco and building what basically is equal to a military force on Magneto's previously sunken island. So much for the dream of Professor Xaviar of a world where humans and mutants can live together. I'll save other rants like the death of Nightcrawler for further down the list.

I was going to do some honorable mentions before I got into the list, but at this point, I think I'll save that for part II and talk some more about why I love the X-men.

My first exposure to the X-men was in fifth grade we had a magazine that we'd gotten from somewhere that was talking all about mutations. It started off with real-world examples of mutations and then started talking about the X-men. It was simplified for the less than average fifth grader, but it really caught my attention. That weekend I decided to take the little money I had and ride my bike the 12-mile-each-way trip to see if I could find a comic book in the closest thing we had to a commercial center. I bought my first X-men comic and biked home with it wrapped around my handle bar because the bag kept getting in the way. (I know, it was horrible for a collector to do that, but what did I know back then?) I also stopped on the side of the road about halfway back to read it. That was the day I fell in love with Shadowcat.

Other things I love about the X-men? Well, I love the powers and adventures. I used to love to think about what kind of power I would have. (Let's be honest, I still do some times.) I loved the turmoil created by trying to do the difficult thing by using super human powers to help people that hate you. One of my favorite books from the X-men was Excalibur, and not the new book that is a waste of paper, but the original version with Kitty and Nightcrawler and Rachel. Those books were just so much fun. That's what I really miss in the X-men these days. It's all so serious.

Anyway, I'd better wrap it up for now. Be on the look out for part II where I'll list the honorable mentions before I get into the real list. Feel free to comment below.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the anecdote about your first comic, very cute! You really rode all the way to the bookstore? I salute your diligence ;-)

    As you know, I feel the same way you do about the new XM comics. I haven't read a single one in a long time and what you've just described sure doesn't make me want to run to the store. So Kurt's dead as well? I know it's Marvel Comics and that he could be back in a week or two, but it still bothers me. The dying gimmick is getting old. They killed off Forge a while back and I was devastated. And you're right, it's all so serious now! I miss the Excalibur-type light tone. Thanks for introducing me to it by the way! I still remember that bit about Kitty having to pee in flight...brilliant :b Oh, is she back by the way?

    I - ahem- used to imagine what kind of power I would have as well :b

    I don't think I could explain why I love the X-Men. Maybe it's the family feeling. Or the fact that their adventures often are metaphors for current events, but that sure didn't matter when I was 8. I enjoy all the drama too, I have to admit.

    Happy posting, and thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitty did come back. From what I've seen it was done very poorly though. I guess Magneto pulled the bullet back to Earth in the middle of a major battle so you didn't see it until it had already happened. She is also trapped in ghost form again.

    I forgot about the pee-in-flight moment. Thanks for the reminder.

    I'll be sure to send you the links when I get the next one done.

    ReplyDelete