Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas songs I'm already sick of hearing.

I'm not a scrooge, and I don't really hate  Christmas or Christmas music, but there are just some songs that either get overplayed or I just don't want to listen to at Christmas or any time. Here's a listing of some of the songs I'll be glad not to hear after Christmas.

Jingle Bells by Barking Dogs

I haven't even heard this song yet this year, and I've heard it too many times. I think it's an interesting concept, but it get's old after about five seconds. Why do people want to listen to this song? If your dog starts barking, you don't try to teach it to bark with the song. You tell them to shut up and go back to what you were doing. Why do we have a song that teaches dogs to bark whenever they want to?

Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer by Elmo and Patsy Shropshire
I will admit that I loved this song the first couple of years that I knew what I was listening to around Christmas time. It's a funny take on Santa and paints him as the bad guy, but it gets old fast especially when it seems to be everywhere you go. Here's a bigger issue with the song-what's the real story here? Isn't it much more likely that Granddad just made up the story about Grandma getting run over by a reindeer? What really happened to Grandma? Maybe Granddad ran her over because he couldn't see where he was driving or something even worse. How's that for a reason not to like this song?

Last Christmas I Gave You My Heart by Wham!
"Last Christmas I gave you my heart, but the very next day you gave it away. So this year to save me some tears, I'll give it to someone special." That's the song. End it already. Actually there are verses, but after I hear the chorus 5000 times (yes this is hyperbole but not by much) I can't remember ever hearing any of them. This song just doesn't want to end, or stop complaining about how horrible it was that their heart was broken on Christmas. I'm sure people can relate to the song, but it doesn't make it any easier to listen to.

Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley
Don't take this the wrong way. Elvis is great. He is the King of Rock and Roll. I don't want to get into an argument about that, but I can't stand it when this song his the air. I think it has a lot to do with the death of my mother during 2009. It was hard to listen to Presley sing about having a blue Christmas just because some girl dumped him when I was facing that first Christmas without my mother. Elvis just didn't know enough about being blue when the song was done.


Wish you the merriest-Frank Sinatra
A while back I wrote a relatively short post stating that Bing Crosby was the voice of Christmas. (Check it out here: http://lockheed40.blogspot.com/2010/12/bing-crosby-is-voice-of-christmas.html) There's a reason, and this song is it. I've got nothing against Sinatra, but where "Last Christmas" at least has a reason to exist, this song is just a long-winded "Merry Christmas."

Instrumental versions of songs I want to hear someone sing
If you're going to play a Christmas song, then have the words in there. This complaint does not go for songs that don't have words. In that case, don't add words to songs that don't need them. It seems like a small problem, but I want the words to my favorite Christmas songs. If you want it to be instrumental, then play the "Carol of the Bells," or "Sleigh Ride." That will make everyone happy.

I could go on, but I think this will be enough for this year. Feel free to leave a comment on your opinion on the matter.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with everything written here. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. The first song that I thought of that first Christmas without my mother in 1993 was also "Blue Christmas" and I was using it as a crutch. Now I'd rather here squeaky middle school violinists play. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Barking dogs doing Jingle Bells is so infuriating it makes me want to murder puppies everytime I hear it. Why, oh why?

    ReplyDelete