Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Is this seriously the top iTunes single of 2010?

I don't know about you, but I've found several songs this year that I really enjoy until I pay attention to the lyrics. I still can't decide which is worse, "Hey, Soul Sister" by Train, or "Cooler than Me" by Mike Posner. I love the music of the songs, and I usually find myself singing along until I realize what I'm actually saying. Think about the message behind "Cooler than Me." The song basically boils down to "You won't have anything to do with me because you think you're cooler than me." Here's the problem with this statement: the fact that you have to make such a big deal about her thinking that she's cooler than you means that she is cooler than you.

This brings me to my real topic: Train has the number 1 downloaded song on iTunes for 2010. Just typing that sentence makes me want to cringe. So what's so bad about "Hey, Soul Sister" that has me writing about it now?

Every time the song starts, I think that it's a different song that I actually enjoy. I think it's the strumming of the mandolin. I don't know what song I think it is, but after the singer starts in, I know I've been tricked again. The worst part is that the song is popping up everywhere. It's in commercials. It's on the radio all the time. It was even covered by some kid on the beach on an episode of "Hawaii Five-0." You just can't escape it.

But what about specific examples of what's wrong with this song?

Let's start with the use of soul sister. I'm sorry, but a goofy white man has no right singing the phrase soul sister, or pairing the term with a question about Mister, Mister just because it rhymes. Then there's bizarre word images like lipstick stains on my brain. Wouldn't it be easier to simply say "your kiss is on my mind?" I also have a huge problem with him describing himself as a gangster, not because I have a problem with gangster musicians, but look at the guy. There's no way he's a gangster. There are plenty of other snafus, but I think that's more than enough for now. Besides, if I keep ranting about the song I may never stop.

Let's just say that I find it hard to believe that it is a sad state of affairs that this is the most downloaded song, but that's my just my opinion. Leave a comment below to let me know how you feel about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment