Search This Blog

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Best episodes to get started with Doctor Who.

So I thought I was going to take a break from Doctor Who for a little while after my Top Twelve Doctors list, but I received a request for some suggestions on where to get started with the show for newbies. I think that I will put together a listing of episodes for each Doctor (except the eighth, who only has one story to watch.)  What I want to do first, though, is to give you some general episodes that will give you the best perspective on the franchise as a while. So without more ado, here are a few suggestions of Doctor Who stories.

 Actually, I do want to mention  one more thing before I start. You will not be able to watch every episode of Doctor Who in order. You won't even be able to watch every episode. Back in the 1960's someone at BCC decided to free up tape and erased a large chunk of the work done by the first and second Doctor. I wish that wasn't the case, but it is. Some of the DVDs you can buy will have audio portions of the episodes with still pics from the production, but even that won't give you everything.

Where should you start? If you haven't seen anything to do with Doctor Who, I recommend starting at the beginning of the new run. Christopher Eccleston does a great job of helping new viewers figure out who the Doctor is and the kind of characters and enemies he encounters on a regular basis. The writers do a great job of giving the Doctor dialogue to explain the Doctor. Here's a quote to give you and example of who Eccleston's Doctor was:

"Do you know like we were sayin'? About the Earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid. The first time they tell you that the world's turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standin' still. I can feel it. The turn of the Earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinnin' at 1,000 miles an hour and the entire planet is hurtling around the sun at 67,000 miles an hour, and I can feel it. We're fallin' through space, you and me, clinging to the skin of this tiny little world, and if we let go... That's who I am.
 So you want to learn about the other Doctors, but you really don't have the time to watch every episode you can get your hands on? Maybe you want to narrow down your choices before you begin. I have the perfect solution for you. Watch an anniversary special. During the original run of Doctor Who, it was tradition to have a special episode for anniversaries. There are two really great options. On one hand, you can watch the Three Doctors which celebrates the 10th anniversary of the show and bring the first three actors together in one adventure. Your other option is the Five Doctors which brings together Doctors 1-5.
Both of these are great stories and do a great job of getting you a feel for the different actors. You also get to meet some of the companions from the different eras. Hartnell, the original Doctor has a limited role in the Three Doctors due to failing health, and he is unable to appear in the Five Doctors having passed away shortly after the Three Doctors. Richard Hurdnell does a decent job as a replacement for Hartnell.

Those are some basic suggestions. I'll have more specific episodes for each Doctor down the road.

1 comment: