Search This Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

My Top Ten Football Movies (Part I)

I thought it might be fun to do a top ten list every once in a while. I used to post lists on my bulletin board when I was working as a Resident Director during college. The are a great way to get people thinking and to encourage discussion. In this case, I will be listing my personal favorite football movies. I know there will be lots of movies that are not on the list that people will wonder why they aren't on the list. There's a simple answer to that question: I haven't seen the movie. I will probably add those movies in a Top Ten Football Movies I Haven't Seen list.  Anyway, here's the list. I hope you enjoy.
Number 10
The first movie on the list is probably one that you've never encountered. It's really only on the list because I can only come up with 10 movies and as a result this one makes the list. So the basic plot is that 12 years after Robin Williams drops the ball in the game-deciding moment, he convinces everyone on both teams to come back and play the game again.

What can I say about a movie where Robin Williams plays football. I can get over my disbelief on most things. I can believe just about anything, but not that Robin Williams was ever a football player. I can accept him as an alien that ages backwards, or a blue genie, or any of the other eccentric roles he has taken, but not this. The movie is OK, and it follows the standard formula. I won't give away the ending, but I'm sure you can figure it out on your own. It's a decent movie if you don't have to pay too much for it, but I wouldn't track down a copy if you can't find it easily.

Number 9

I know many will disagree with me on the placement of this movie. It was a huge hit, and I do remember liking the movie once things got going, but honestly, I don't remember much about it. I definitely remember the disturbing parts (which are a lot) but not much more.

Here's the rough plot as far as I remember it. Al Pacino is the coach of a football team that loses the quarterback and his backup in the same game. Cue Jamie Foxx as the third-string QB to come into his first professional game. I think he ends up doing really well or maybe he just gets better as the movie continues. I really don't remember. There is lots of great football action, and a great coach-quarterback relationship between Pacino and Foxx. I'm pretty sure it's a better movie than I'm giving it credit for, but I just can't put it any higher on the list without watching it again. Give this movie a chance just be prepared for some questionable material and you will be fine.

Number 8

Movies like "Little Giants" follow a long history of "little league" underdog sports movies. I know there were movies like this in the 40's and 50's, but the movie I think of for this genre is "The Bad News Bears." Take a group of nonathletic misfits and turn them into a sports team. Let them face lots of hard times, and then let them face off against the meanest nastiest group of sports-star athletes in the game of the season.
Oh, and don't forget to throw in the tomboy who's better than everyone else and just wants to play.

This movie changes the formula a little bit. All the kids that get cut from the town's team get together to form a team of their own. You also get the coaches who are brothers with issues. It's a fun movie even if most of it is unlikely. Sure these kids learn how to work together and pull of some really creative plays, but there's still only so much that can be accomplished even with Madden giving you advice.

Number 7

Once upon a time, Adam Sandler was just a guy who did stand up and got a job on Saturday Night Live. After he finished that gig, he started getting the chance to make movies. Fortunately for all of us, Adam Sandler is was able to make some of the best movies around. This movie is one of his best.

Sandler plays a mentally-challenged young man with an obsession with "high-quality H20." Through a strange twist of events he goes from the team's water boy to becoming a player. He uses his pent up rage to make a name for himself. I would probably have put it higher on the list, but It is definitely a movie that is more about the main character than about the football.

Number 6

This isn't a football movie. Instead it is a movie about the politics of football. It's the typical Willis character. His wife is having an affair, his daughter hates him, and he's about as low as a guy can get.Willis and Wayans are both sexist bastards.

Willis plays a former secret service agent that took a bullet for the President. Wayans is a former NFL quarterback who got hooked on pain killers and lost his job. They fight a lot and spend most of the movie trying not to get killed. Willis takes his bad attitude to the extreme in this movie and has some great action-hero moments.

Be aware that this movie is full of profanity, racism, and sexism. This movie may not be for you, but the action is fun, and it may be worth it to see Willis dance a jig.

That's the first half of the list. I'll get the other half out eventually. Feel free to leave any comments or questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment