Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What is Hollywood thinking? (actually Peter Jackson and Elijah Wood)

So I just saw a report on Yahoo! that says that Sir Ian McKellen is set to reprise his role as Gandalf in the two-part Hobbit movie, and I can't be happier about that fact. I liked what he did with the role in the Lord of the Rings movies and I'm sure he will be able to separate himself from that set of movies to do what needs to be done with the younger Gandalf of the Hobbit. What really got my attention was the rest of the article.

I already knew about the plans to include Galadriel and Legolas in the Hobbit even though those characters are not mentioned until the Lord of the Rings books. I can see how this might work, but Jackson had better make sure the two characters don't cross paths because Tolkien is very clear that the meeting in the woods is the first time Legolas sees Galadriel. My real concern is the announcement that Elijah Woods has signed on to play Frodo Baggins. How does this even make sense? My only guess is that they will do a scene where Bilbo is telling Frodo about his adventures, but what's the point? Does that mean they have two actors playing Bilbo, one old and one young? (It would not be fair to Sir Ian Holm to age the actor playing the young Bilbo.)

Well, we'll see how Jackson manages this ridiculous state of affairs. It is his problem, and he's more than welcome to it now that he's made it. That's jut my opinion though, and you can feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment